Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From: "Classic Vegetarian Cooking from the Middle East & North Africa" by Habeeb Salloum. Iraq region.
- 29.58 ml butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 4.92-9.85 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 425.24 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (garbanzo beans)
- 709.77 ml tomato juice
- 946.36 ml water
- 118.29 ml rice, rinsed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a saucepan and saute the onions until they begin to brown.
- Add garlic, cilantro, cumin, and allspice and saute a few minutes more.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
A good soup. My one change was using some homemade chicken stock as part of the water. Served with Cucumber With Feta Cheese Dressing. I may make this again.
I could have eaten 3 bowls of this. I used 1 Tbsp olive oil and left out the cilantro. It's fairly light but I didn't mind because the broth was so lovely! I noticed the leftovers thickened a lot too. Can't wait to eat them!
Easy, quick, healthy and tasty!! What more could you want in a recipe? I substituted Ras El Hanout for the cumin and allspice, and it was so yummy! The rice gives the soup a really nice texture as well. Thanks for a real keeper Engrossed!!