- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (garbanzo beans)
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup rice, rinsed
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a saucepan and saute the onions until they begin to brown.
- Add garlic, cilantro, cumin, and allspice and saute a few minutes more.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked.