- 1 3⁄4 cups tomato juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 16 ounces swiss cheese (4 cups) or 16 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded (4 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (Use vegetarian Worcestershire to make this recipe vegetarian.)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 loaf French bread or 1⁄2 loaf focaccia bread, cubed
- 2 small red potatoes, steamed & quartered (cooked) or 12 ounces diced ham (cooked)
- 9 ounces tortellini, prepared (spinach, cheese, mushroom, whatever kind you like)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan (if using a fondue pot) or the top of double boiler, heat 1 3/4 cups tomato juice with garlic until very hot.
- Place over boiling water (either in the bottom of the double boiler or in your fondue pot).
- Add cheese, a small amount at a time stirring constantly until cheese is melted.
- Combine cornstarch, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings with 1/4 cup tomato juice; stir into cheese mixture.
- Continue stirring until smooth; if the fondue becomes too thick, add more tomato juice.
- For Vegetarian omit ham or any meat tortellini for serving.