Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the "All You Need is Cheese" magazine (volume 2/no. 3/winter issue 2010). They are a wonderful appetizer or something cute that can go with a main meal.
- 1⁄2 lb puff pastry, thawed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- fresh basil
- 4 large Italian tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (Canadian Cheddar or any cheese you prefer)
- salt and pepper
- With the rack in lowest position, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- On floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry into 8inch by 10inch rectangle and cut into 2inch by 4inch rectangles.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Brush dough with the mustard.
- Scatter some basil leaves over the dough, then tomatoes.
- Season and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
- Cut pie into squares and garnish with fresh basil.
- Serve immediately, as an appetizer or starter.
- *Good Canadian Aged Cheddar will enhance the flavour of this wonderful tart.
- **Cheese alternatives: Canadian Swiss, Gouda, Provolone, Raclette, Feta.
The title sounds so fancy & intimidating but this is SO EASY!! And so delicious!! Please DO cut the tart 1st. I thought i was being a smarty pants & didn't so mu cuts were all squiggly around the tomato slices, lol. But it was excellent. Made for PAC Fall '12.