Recipe by Jacquie in Brisbane
This is great with potatoes; baked, fried, chipped, mashed etc or rice steamed or boiled. I simply used what was on hand (and what my daughter's anti-candida diet allows!) but you can certainly add some oregano (I will be next time) or spices such as cayenne pepper and chili. Prep time does not incl. soaking time for the beans
- 1 cup cannellini beans, soaked overnight
- 2 (800 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely sliced
- 3⁄4 cup approx frozen corn
- 4 leaves lettuce, sliced (or other green leafy vegetable)
- 2 tablespoons well packed basil, chopped
- olive oil, to saute
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2-1 cup approx water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil (enough to cover the bottom of a lg pan) over a moderate heat and sauté onion for a few minutes.
- Add celery and lettuce and sauté for about 5 minutes, then add garlic and basil, and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper, and enough water to ensure that the mixture is not to thick and can simmer without sticking (a bit like a soup).
- Bring mixture to the boil, then reduce heat to a moderate simmer and cook for approx 3/4 hour until cannellini beans are cooked, adding more water if needed and stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the frozen corn and cook for a few more minutes.