Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious savory stew that vegetarians and non-vegetarians will all enjoy. It can be made ahead of time and it reheats nicely. I serve it over steamed rice.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) canpeeled Italian tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium head of cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, packed in oil, & drained, or use 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes in a packet instead ( steam for 5-10 min
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- In a stockpot (porcelain-lined cast iron works great), heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook until most of the liquid evaporates, 3-4 minutes. Sometimes the mixture may look a little dry, but don't add any extra liquid--the cabbage will give off moisture.
- Add potatoes, cabbage, dill, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and continue to cook until potatoes are tender, abouve 10-20 more minutes. Check seasonings adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Serve immediately.