Recipe by yooper
A hearty, rustic salad from the Tuscan region of Italy. I got this from a Pillsbury cookbook a few years back.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil or 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 slices rye bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 4 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red onion, separated into rings
- 1⁄2 cup thin red bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small nonmetal bowl, combine all dressing ingredients; mix well.
- Place rye and Italian bread slices on a broiler pan; broil 4 to 6 inches from the heat source for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and toasty, turning once.
- Cool for 5 minutes, break or cut into 1/2 inch cubes; set aside.
- Bring 1/4 cup water to boiling in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add broccoli; cook for 2-3 minutes until crisp tender.
- Drain, rinse with cold water to cool; drain well.
- Just before serving, add broccoli and all remaining salad ingredients to bread cubes; toss to mix.
- Pour dressing over salad, toss gently to coat.