Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
Savory, thick, and satisfying. Perfect for lunch when served with a tossed greens salad.
- 5 slices Italian bread, crusts removed and cut into 1 (1/2-inch thick slices)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (plus extra for drizzling)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 4 pepperoncini peppers, chopped
- 16 plum tomatoes, skinned, seeded and cut into 1/2 (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups beef stock or 4 cups beef broth
- 12 leaves fresh basil, torn into 1 (leaves)
- 1⁄2 cup gorgonzola, crumbled (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees, place bread cubes on baking sheet and toast until edges are lightly brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a 5 quart pot over medium heat, add onions and cook for 3-4 min or until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and continue to cook, stirring, for an additional 5 minutes or until the garlic becomes golden.
- Add pepperoncini, tomatoes, beef stock and toasted bread and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, add basil and cook, covered, 30-40 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and drizzle with olive oil, garnish with crumbled Gorgonzola.
Delicious. I substitued onions with shallots and add some cellery.
Excellent robust soup. Very simple to make. Followed directions except could not use beef stock; used vegetable broth as it is a Lenten Friday; and I had to used canned crushed plum tomatoes as that is what I had on hand. Very nice texture to the soup as it was not too thick but not watery either. The gorgonzola cheese is a must. All the flavors go together perfectly and made for a really substantial and delicious lunch. This will be one of my regular soups from now on. Thanks so much for sharing this.
I used veggie broth instead of beef and skipped ont eh gorgonzola. We ate this up in one day. My husband and I just kept getting more helpings! It was a bit more spicy than I thought it would be but I still loved it.