Recipe by KathyP53
Make this ONLY if you have access to GOOD, summertime tomatoes. It's just not the same with those blah, pale, pseudo-tomatoes. This is wonderful for a summer supper!
Top Review by Chef-Boy-I-Be Illinois
This was absolutely delicious!! I looked at the numerous recipes on 'zaar for panzanella and Tuscan bread salad, but this one stood out because of the dressing. My partner went back for thirds! We had this as a main dish salad on a typical hot, humid August day in Illinois. This is a wonderful way to use the abundance of tomatoes from the garden. Thank you so much for sharing this gem!!
- 4 -5 large vine-ripened tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 anchovy fillets, rinsed and mashed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 slices bread, toasted and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (chewy, country-style, 3/4-inch thick)
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Core and halve tomatoes, then cut each half into 4-5 wedges. Toss wedges with salt in a large bowl; let rest until small pool of liquid accumulates, 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, vinegar, garlic, basil, anchovies, and pepper to taste in small bowl. Pour mixture over tomatoes and accumulated liquid; toss to coat. Set aside to blend flavors, about 5 minutes.
- Add bread cubes; toss to combine. Adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.