Recipe by Annisette
A very quick and pretty dish - the colors of the Italian flag. Can be made with either very fresh mozzarella or bocconcini (fresh mini mozzarellas). My mom used to make this all the time. I don't personally use the salt, but I do like lots of freshly ground pepper on mine. I also like this with oregano. Feel free to experiment! Posted for ZWT 2006.
- 3 large fresh tomatoes
- 8 ounces bocconcini or 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the tomatoes into twelve 1/2-inch slices.
- Slice the bocconcini into twenty-four 1/2-inch slices.
- Arrange the tomato slices on a serving plate, alternating them with 2 slices of bocconcini. Place the basil leaves between the bocconcini slices.
- Drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with basil and season with salt and lots of fresh ground black pepper.