Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Do not use regular chicken broth as blue cheese is rather salty. I serve with a buttered bread roll.
- 3 lbs ripe tomatoes, peeled, quartered and seeded
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 parsley sprigs
- 6 ounces bacon, cooked, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread the tomatoes out in an oven-proof dish. Sprinkle with the garlic and some salt and pepper. Place in oven and bake for 35 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a large pan. Add the leek and carrot and season with salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the broth and baked tomatoes. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the blue cheese, cream and parsley. Remove from heat and let cool slightly, then transfer to a blender and process until smooth, working in batches if necessary. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Ladel into warmed bowls and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.