Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My friend Kelli brought this over for dinner and it was just wonderful. Can't wait to make it myself. It's from Southern Living.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansof petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bring 3 cups of water and 1 tsp salt to a boil in a 2qt saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in cornmeal; reduce heat to low and simmer, whisking constantly, 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, and stir in steak seasoning and 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Spread cornmeal mixture into a lightly greased 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- Brown ground chuck in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain and transfer to a bowl.
- Saute onion and zucchini in hot oil in skillet 5 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Stir in beef, tomatoes, and tomato paste; simmer, stirring often, 10 minutes.
- Pour beef mixture over cornmeal crust.
- Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup of cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Sprinkle casserole with parsley just before serving.