Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a really basic recipe for when you don't have a lot of time, or don't have much in the house. Mop it up with some fresh bread.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 400 g canned tomatoes, chopped
- 400 g tinned cannellini beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 300 ml water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- grated cheese, and crusty bread to serve
- Gently fry the onion and garlic in a medium pan until soft, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, cover and cook over a medium heat for 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste, top with grated cheese and serve with crusty bread.
Very light and tasty. It's a quick and satisfying soup. I used great northern beans instead of cannelini and it worked just fine. I think any white bean (such as navy) would be just fine. Thanx for posting. I'll make this again!
Mmm this was good! I made this for my breakfast, lol! I accidentally bought a can of diced tomatoes that had chili seasonings in it so I omitted all but a dash of chili powder. I couldn't find cannelini beans so used canned Great Northern beans. I used 1 tsp of jarred minced garlic, followed the rest of the recipe as directed but added no salt. I enjoyed this with toasted french bread and herb butter. I did decide to try this with parmesan cheese, though normally I would have left it off due to my dietary needs. This was better than I hoped, and I will make it again. Made for Please Review My Recipe tag game. Thanks for sharing, Kitzy!