Recipe by Lisa Clarice
This recipe came from "The Cook's Guide to Vegetables" and is very simple yet extremely tasty tart. The pastry is topped with slices of mozzarella cheese and tomatoes and enriched with olive oil and basil leaves. I make this often in the late summer months when tomatoes are the freshest. You can make this tart with different types of tomatoes. Great for a dinner party!
- 141.74 g mozzarella cheese
- 4 tomatoes (2 large or 4 medium)
- 10 basil leaves
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 236.59 ml flour
- 118.32 ml butter
- 28.39 ml milk
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare pastry, mix together flour and butter and a pinch of salt.
- Add milk slowly, just enough to firm up dough.
- Form a ball and then roll out dough on flour surface, into a large circle to cover a greased tart pan.
- Press dough into your tart pan.
- Prick dough all over with a fork and then bake at 375 for ten minutes.
- Let cool slightly before adding the toppings.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the mozzarella into 1/4 inch slices and place over the entire pastry base.
- On top of the cheese, arrange a single layer of thick tomato slices, overlapping them slightly.
- Dip the basil leaves in olive oil and arrange them on the tomatoes.
- Scatter garlic on top, drizzle with remaining olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until tomatoes are well cooked. Serve hot.