1/1 Photo of Tomato and Basil Tart
Lisa Clarice's Note:
This recipe came from "The Cook's Guide to Vegetables" and is very simple yet extremely tasty tart. The pastry is topped with slices of mozzarella cheese and tomatoes and enriched with olive oil and basil leaves. I make this often in the late summer months when tomatoes are the freshest. You can make this tart with different types of tomatoes. Great for a dinner party!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To prepare pastry, mix together flour and butter and a pinch of salt.
- 2Add milk slowly, just enough to firm up dough.
- 3Form a ball and then roll out dough on flour surface, into a large circle to cover a greased tart pan.
- 4Press dough into your tart pan.
- 5Prick dough all over with a fork and then bake at 375 for ten minutes.
- 6Let cool slightly before adding the toppings.
- 7Reduce oven to 350 degrees.
- 8Slice the mozzarella into 1/4 inch slices and place over the entire pastry base.
- 9On top of the cheese, arrange a single layer of thick tomato slices, overlapping them slightly.
- 10Dip the basil leaves in olive oil and arrange them on the tomatoes.
- 11Scatter garlic on top, drizzle with remaining olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- 12Bake for 45-50 minutes until tomatoes are well cooked. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato and Basil Tart
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.1
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 45.0 mg
- Sodium 198.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 6.4 g