Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This is a wonderful soup that creates a blissful combination of aromatic delights while it simmers. Serve with some crusty bread, and enjoy!
- 3 lbs ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) canned plum tomatoes, with their juice
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 quart chicken stock or 1 quart water
- 3⁄4 cup jameson Irish whiskey
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Add Whiskey and Cream, and let simmer 10 minutes, working the tomatoes with a spoon to break them up in the mixture.
Lovely tomato soup, the aromas were so enticing right from roasting the tomatoes (which I could have eaten just like that, lol). however, I restrained myself and made the soup, yum. Rich, robust, this will spoil you for less inspired tomato soups! Prepared with ease and served with crusty french bread, a dish fit for kings. Thank you Elvis, my soup of choice!
Delicious!!!! Like no other tomato soup I ever tried!! Thank you for posting this recipe!!