Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a great tasting that can be made in 40 minutes - fast and great tasting - the recipe came from EatingWell Magazine
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 lbs tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- plain low-fat yogurt
- Heat the oil in a saucepan or stockpot. Add the onion and thyme; sauté until the onion is soft, but not brown. Add the tomatoes and stir briefly.
- Add the flour, and stir for about 3 minutes, or until the flour is fully incorporated into the mixture.
- Stir in the sugar, chicken stock, and tomato paste. Simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Puree the soup mixture in a food processor and return ro the pot. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Just before serving, add the basil. Serve with a dollop of yogurt, if desired.
This soup is delicious. I did not have 2 lbs of tomatoes so I substituted a large can of crushed tomatoes with basil and kept everything else the same. It was fantastic!