Linda's Busy Kitchen's Note:
This sauce is ready in no time, and flavors are great! Pour over your favorite pasta! From the kitchen of Mary Ann Esposito, cooking show chef for Ciao Italia.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs ripe plum tomatoes or 3 (28 ounce) cans crushed plum tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1/2 cup colavita extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 -8 leaves fresh basil
- 1If using fresh tomatoes, core them, cut them into coarse chunks, and puree them in a food processor, blender, or food mill until smooth. Strain the flesh of canned tomatoes through a fine sieve, to remove skins and seeds. Set aside.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a large pot, and cook the onion over a medium heat, stirring, until soft.
- 3Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until it becomes soft. Do not let the garlic brown, or an acid taste will be imparted in the sauce.
- 4Add the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato and Basil Sauce - Salsa Di Pomodoro E Basilico
Serving Size: 1 (2918 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.6
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 744.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 2.3 g