Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This sauce is ready in no time, and flavors are great! Pour over your favorite pasta! From the kitchen of Mary Ann Esposito, cooking show chef for Ciao Italia.
- 5 lbs ripe plum tomatoes or 3 (28 ounce) cans crushed plum tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1⁄2 cup colavita extra virgin olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 -8 leaves fresh basil
- If using fresh tomatoes, core them, cut them into coarse chunks, and puree them in a food processor, blender, or food mill until smooth. Strain the flesh of canned tomatoes through a fine sieve, to remove skins and seeds. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot, and cook the onion over a medium heat, stirring, until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until it becomes soft. Do not let the garlic brown, or an acid taste will be imparted in the sauce.
- Add the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.