Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A sauce from heaven! Serve at dinner parties, or just for fun. Best served over gnocchi or ravioli.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 ounces canned chopped peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
- Heat the oil for the sauce in a pan. Add the chopped shallot and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, basil, red wine, and sugar and season well with salt and pepper. bring to a boil, then let simmer for 15-20 minutes.