Recipe by Hel Cooks
Great, cheap and easy pasta sauce for any pasta, can also be used as a base for lasagne, or any tomato pasta sauce.
Top Review by Chef Dudo
Good basic tomato sauce. Made it as stated. Since it was too much for one meal for us I put some in the freezer and a couple of days later we ate it again and then I added more fried onions and mushrooms. Yes, definitely a good basic sauce to which there are lots of things that could be added. Thanks for posting.
- 2 (400 g) cans plum tomatoes (chopped)
- 5 garlic cloves (crushed or finely chopped)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 cup fresh basil (extra dried can be used)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch mixed herbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- use half the oil and gently fry garlic do not let it brown.
- add the tomatoes, dried basil, bay leaf, mixed herbs, salt and pepper and sugar (this recipe needs between 1/2 - 1 tsp salt to bring out the flavours of the tomatoes.
- bring to the boil and gently simmer for 20 mins, add the tomato puree and the rest of the oil and simmer for a further 15 mins until the mixture has reduced.
- If using fresh basil roughly chop and add now.
- Serve with pasta with grated parmasan cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
- Variations - button mushrooms, black olives can be added.