Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious and fresh tasting pasta sauce. The fresh basil added at the end is essential.This sauce can be left chunky (which I prefer) or blended in a food processor to a smooth sauce.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 (400 g) cans tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, torn into small pieces (don't use dried basil)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently cook the onion and garlic until softened.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chili flakes, balsamic vinegar, and sugar.
- Bring to a full boil and then simmer and cook slowly for 45-60 minutes.
- Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve spooned over cooked pasta with plenty of parmesan cheese.
Simplicity in itself and so tasty! Easy to make, no fancy ingredients, just a very, very good basic tomato sauce. Made exactly as stated, perfect. Thanks for posting. Made for PAC, Spring 2009.
This is just what doctor ordered, so to speak! I made this sauce as a special gift for a friend of mine [but kept a small amount for my own taste buds!], & it was a big hit with her! Even gave her a copy of the recipe & am hoping she'll log onto Zaar & join in! Thanks for posting this recipe!