Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A fast and easy Italian dinner that can be served with crunchy Italian bread or garlic bread. Kids love it!!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup basil
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (8 ounce) can chopped tomatoes (unseasoned)
- 1 (16 ounce) box pasta
- parmesan cheese
- romano cheese
- Cook pasta as per box instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil with copped garlic.
- Add a handful of chopped FRESH basil.
- Heat five minutes.
- Slowly stir in chopped tomatoes, juice and all.
- Add as much crushed red pepper flakes as you like, no more than 1 table.
- Cook until tomatoes are soft enough to crush, about 20 minutes on med-low.
- Crush tomatoes in pan with fork or potato masher.
- Drain pasta and return to cooking pot.
- Slowly add sauce and mix together.
- It will look like not enough sauce to cover pasta, but this is a lite sauce and not to overpowering.
- Add fresh grated parmasiano cheese or fresh romano over individual servings.
We really loved this simple dish. I used spinach fettuccini and a little more tomatoes than called for. Thanks Happy Italian Chef for a really nice recipe.
This was a great quick and easy pasta dish! It was very tasty - if I hadn't overcooked the garlic and basil, it would have been even tastier :) It might be an idea to include cooking temperatures in your instructions. Thanks for posting!