Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I first saw this on the Two Fat Ladies cooking show. I don't know if this is exactly how they made it, but this is our version.
- In a small nonstick skillet (I use 8-inch), over medium heat, sauté the onions until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add basil and cook 2 more minutes.
- Place in a bowl and let cool slightly.
- Clean out the pan and spray with nonstick spray.
- Beat the eggs the water and 3 tablespoons Parmesan until a little foamy and pour into the nonstick skillet.
- Pour the veggie mixture into the eggs and mix it up a bit.
- Cook over low heat, without stirring, about 10-15 minutes until the eggs are set- it will still be a bit runny on top.
- While eggs are cooking, heat up your broiler and after eggs have set, sprinkle remaining Parmesan over the top and broil until bubbly and lightly brown.
- Great for weekend brunch!
- This serves 2 hungry folk or 4 not so hungry folk.
Easy, fast, and delicious. This looks beautiful and would make an impressive dish to serve to guests. My eggs cooked very quickly - it only took about 5 minutes for them to set and 30 seconds under the broiler. This has a great aroma as well as it cooks. I used the fresh basil. Yum!
I guess I prefer my fritattas baked. I needed the whole 15 minutes to cook and it got a bit rubbery on the outside and a bit custard-like toward the center. It was beautiful to look at - gorgeous presentation and the mix of flavors was fine.
This came out just beautifully -- so pretty! I used diced green onion instead of sliced onion and fresh basil from my garden. Also 2 eggs and a half cup of Eggbeaters instead of 4 eggs. Yum! Just a delightful recipe.