Prep 18 mins
Cook 25 mins
a very simple and tasty dish, a comfort food.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped (1/3 cup dried when sauce is doubled)
- salt and pepper
- 6 boneless chicken breasts (I buy the boneless, skinless and cut in half to insure they cook through)
- Heat butter, add onions, saute' for 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to high, add tomatoes and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add cream and bring to a boil, boil about 3 minutes until slightly thickened, add salt, pepper and basil.
- Place chicken in a shallow baking dish, pour sauce over chicken.
- Bake for 25 minutes on 450 degrees.
- *Doublethe sauce recipe to have extra to serve over fettuccini or other pasta.
OH SO GOOD! Who knew such a simple dish could be so tasty. Restaurant quality! I used fresh tomatoes from my garden instead of canned. 2 cups of fresh diced tomatoes substitute for 1 can. Used chicken tenders and doubled the sauce to put over pasta as suggested. The smell is delicious and the sauce is so rich a creamy and fresh tasting. Yummy! A recipe to keep and use often. Thank you!!
Delicious! Very easy to make!