Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The movie Julie and Julia has certainly revived this classic appetizer. The key to success with is recipe is to use the freshest and best quality ingredients available.
- 1 lb ripe grape tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 loaf crusty French bread, sliced 3/4 inch thick (or italian)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced in half
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese, shaved
- Mix tomatoes and basil together and season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Fry Bread: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in frying pan and fry bread until golden brown on both side.
- Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Rub one side with garlic clove.
- Toast Bread In Oven:.
- Place bread on baking sheet and broil until golden brown on both sides; 12-15 minutes.
- Rub one side with garlic clove and brush with olive oil.
- Drain the tomato-basil mixture of excess liquid and spoon on to each slice of bread.
- Top with parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
We loved this. I cut the recipe down to serve 2 and used big slices of french bread. I toasted them in my toaster oven. I was really impressed with the garlic flavor. I was expecting nothing from the little slice that I used. :) I still have a garlic taste in my mouth. I did throw in some capers for added flavor. DH said "Wow, this is good". That makes it 5 stars in my book. Thanks for posting. :)
Yum! I used ripe cherry tomatoes and basil from the garden. I scaled the recipe down just for me. Delicious and easy too! Thanks! Made for Newest Zaar tag.