Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
An impressive dish - either as a side or as a main course.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large frozen artichoke hearts
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 13 ounces potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾ inch dice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled,seeded,thinly sliced,well-drained
- Boil artichokes in water to which lemon juice and oil have been added, until tender (about 30 minutes).
- Drain and cool.
- Bring stock to boil in medium saucepan; add potatoes.
- Cover and cook over medium-high heat until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain; transfer to food processor.
- Melt 2 tblsps butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add artichokes and garlic and saute 3 minutes.
- Add to potatoes in processor and coarsely puree.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Mix 1 cup of cheese, egg, thyme, salt and pepper into the puree.
- (may be prepared up to 1 day ahead at this point) Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- Butter 8 inch round or square baking dish.
- Coat with breadcrumbs.
- Transfer artichoke puree to prepared dish.
- Smooth top and arrange tomato slices over in concentric circles.
- Cut remaining 2 tblsps butter into small pieces and dot over surface.
- Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese.
- Bake until set and top is golden, about 35 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
This is excellent return for little effort. Delightful dish - makes an impression. Different herbs/spices could be used to add an inidividual touch. Beth
Excellent recipe! My husband loved this. Thanks so much for posting it. I will definately add this to my keeper list.