Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This a condiment prepared with tomatoes and Himalayan spices and herbs.
- 4 large ripe tomatoes or 2 cups ripe cherry tomatoes
- 5 fresh hot red chili peppers, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground szechwan pepper (timur)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon mint leaf, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 10 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Roast tomatoes in oven for about 30 minutes, or until charred.
- Remove charred skin and reserve flesh in a bowl.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil.
- Add cumin and mustard seeds; fry for 30 seconds or so.
- Add chilies, garlic, ginger, timur, asafetida, lime juice and salt; stir for a minute.
- In a blender, combine roasted tomatoes, chopped cilantro and mint, if used, and spice mixture; process to form smooth paste-like mixture (can be made chunkier, if desired).
- Transfer into a large bowl.
- For garnish, in a non-stick pan heat one tablespoon of oil, splitter fenugreek until it turns dark.
- Add slices of garlic and fry till light brown.
- Pour the garlic-oil mixture and chopped cilantro over the tomato mixture.
- Mix well and refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.
Oh hoooo! This was kickin' hot. This combination of flavors was something new to us and we really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
This is great stuff. It has a very distinctive aroma and flavor. Thanks, Tulsi, we will have this again with the chicken skewers.