1 hr 45 mins
Tulsi Regmi's Note:
This a condiment prepared with tomatoes and Himalayan spices and herbs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large ripe tomatoes or 2 cups ripe cherry tomatoes
- 5 fresh hot red chili peppers, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground szechwan pepper (timur)
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida powder
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon mint leaf, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1Roast tomatoes in oven for about 30 minutes, or until charred.
- 2Remove charred skin and reserve flesh in a bowl.
- 3In a sauce pan, heat oil.
- 4Add cumin and mustard seeds; fry for 30 seconds or so.
- 5Add chilies, garlic, ginger, timur, asafetida, lime juice and salt; stir for a minute.
- 6In a blender, combine roasted tomatoes, chopped cilantro and mint, if used, and spice mixture; process to form smooth paste-like mixture (can be made chunkier, if desired).
- 7Transfer into a large bowl.
- 8For garnish, in a non-stick pan heat one tablespoon of oil, splitter fenugreek until it turns dark.
- 9Add slices of garlic and fry till light brown.
- 10Pour the garlic-oil mixture and chopped cilantro over the tomato mixture.
- 11Mix well and refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Achar
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 62.4
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: