Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This a condiment prepared with tomatoes and Himalayan spices and herbs.
Make and share this Tomato Achar recipe from Food.com.
- 4 large ripe tomatoes or 2 cups ripe cherry tomatoes
- 5 fresh hot red chili peppers, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground szechwan pepper (timur)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafetida powder
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon mint leaf, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 10 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Roast tomatoes in oven for about 30 minutes, or until charred.
- Remove charred skin and reserve flesh in a bowl.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil.
- Add cumin and mustard seeds; fry for 30 seconds or so.
- Add chilies, garlic, ginger, timur, asafetida, lime juice and salt; stir for a minute.
- In a blender, combine roasted tomatoes, chopped cilantro and mint, if used, and spice mixture; process to form smooth paste-like mixture (can be made chunkier, if desired).
- Transfer into a large bowl.
- For garnish, in a non-stick pan heat one tablespoon of oil, splitter fenugreek until it turns dark.
- Add slices of garlic and fry till light brown.
- Pour the garlic-oil mixture and chopped cilantro over the tomato mixture.
- Mix well and refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.
This is great stuff. It has a very distinctive aroma and flavor. Thanks, Tulsi, we will have this again with the chicken skewers.