This sauce has many uses. One easy and elegant suggestion is to pair it with a soft cheese such as Brie or cream cheese. Just pour over cheese and serve with tortilla or other chips. This recipe uses bottle lemon juice so that it is suitable for canning using the hot water bath method. It stores in a cool place for up to a year. Store in refrigerator once opened. Adapted from "Well-Preserved," by Eugenia Bone.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place top oven rack 6 inches from broiler and preheat.
- 2Prepare an ice water bath.
- 3In a medium saucepan, bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat; blanch tomatillos 1 or 2 minutes, then remove to ice water bath.
- 4Once tomatillos cool, coarsely chop in a food processor.
- 5Meanwhile, broil poblano and jalapeno peppers on a baking sheet until they blister, then turn, about 5 minutes in total.
- 6Once cool enough to handle, discard skins, seeds, and membranes; coarse chop (you should have about 1/2 to 3/4 cup).
- 7Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is a fairly smooth sauce, about 20 minutes.
- 8The sauce is now ready for canning.
- 9Scald 2 pint jars and their bands by dipping them into boiling water (no need to sterilize since jars will be processed more than 10 minutes).
- 10Heat lids in hot water to soften the rubber.
- 11Spoon sauce into jars, leaving 1/2 to 3/4 inches of head space; wipe rims, apply lids, and screw bands on tightly.
- 12Place jars on a rack in a pot tall enough to allow the jars to be covered by 3 inches of water.
- 13Bring water to boil over high heat and preocess 15 minutes; turn off heat and allow jars to rest a few minutes before transferring to countertop to cool.
- 14Test seal by pressing the center of the lid, it should not pop back up.
- 15Let cool 6 to 8 hours undisturbed, then store in a cool, dark place for up to a year.
- 16Refrigerate after opening.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomatillo Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (68 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 26.4
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 196.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 0.8 g