1 hr 10 mins
David J Rust's Note:
This recipe is my own modification of the one made famous by Linda McDaniel. Her recipe, for green tomato relish, is fantastic. But when the time came for me to make it, green tomatoes were not available. I did, however, have tomatillos. The flavor is decidedly different but I've come to love this sweet-n-tangy relish even more. I always keep a jar in the fridge but it never lasts too long. I have found it goes really well with ham (on English Muffins) or even just served with eggs (sunny-side up or poached) for an unusual but bright-tasting breakfast. This recipe makes about 5-1/2 Cups of relish and was configured to be served in 2-Tablespoon portions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel the papery wrapping off of the tomatillos, remove the seeds and inner ribs from the bell peppers, and peel the onions.
- 2Quarter the tomatillos and set aside. Roughly chop the onions and bell peppers and set aside.
- 3In your food processor, finely puree the tomatillos, peppers, and onions together. I usually have to do this in two batches. On high speed, this takes me about 3 minutes per batch; when done it should resemble a fine-grain blend.
- 4Line a strainer with cheese cloth and drain the minced vegetables for at least 1 hour. I have drained this over night, before, and had no problems.
- 5After the minced vegetables have drained, combine them with the remaining ingredients in a non-reactive pot.
- 6Place the pot over high heat on your stove and bring to a boil.
- 7Stirring, to prevent scorching, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for another 5 minutes.
- 8Remove to mason jars and refrigerate. Once it is chilled, serve in dollops with sausages, chips, eggs, ham, or anything else that needs a sweet-n-tangy boost.
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomatillo Relish/Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (35 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 44
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 52.9
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 80.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 0.2 g