Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Spicy hot fruity salsa is refreshingly crunchy, tart from the Granny Smiths, lime, and apple cider vinegar. Can't get tomatillos use green tomatoes.
- 1419.54 ml diced tomatillos (2 pounds) or 1419.54 ml diced green tomatoes
- 2 large granny smith apples, 3 cups diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large red pepper, 1 1/4 cups diced
- 177.44 ml apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 fresh habaneros or 4-6 fresh jalapenos, minced
- 78.07 ml cilantro, chopped
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 2.46-4.92 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml pickling salt
- 1 lime, zest, meat chopped, pith discarded
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.46 ml black onion seeds, Nigella Sativa
- fresh cracked black pepper, 10 turns
- pickling lime (crisp granules 1/8 teaspoon per pint calcium chloride) (optional)
- Prepare jars for canning.
- In a large pot combine all ingredients except for the granules.
- bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Place 1/8 teaspoon of the granules in each pint if using.
- Ladle into hot sterlized jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Wipe rims and top with lids.
- Process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath covered by at least 1 inch of water.
- Remove jars a leave in a draft free spot for 24 hours.
- Lable and store in a pantry fo up to 1 year.