Recipe by duonyte
This recipe sounds so good and easy, I had to save it. From the Chicago Tribune, by Joe Gray. When I do make this i'll try to remember to weigh the sausage to give a more accurate measure.
- 3 links Italian turkey sausage, without fennel
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 poblano chile, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tomatillos, husked and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the sausage from its casings and form into 1-inch balls.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium high heat, add the olive oil and sausage balls and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- Add onion, peppers and salt to the skillet (add a little more oil, if needed), and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatillos and cook 2 minutes longer, until just softened.
- Add wine or broth and return the sausage balls to the skillet. Simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve over the brown rice, chopped cilantro would be a nice touch.