Recipe by Kay D.
This recipe came from Party Line with The Hearty Boys, in anticipation of Super Bowl Sunday.
Top Review by karen in tbay
This was a cornbread with the surprise of the heat of the salsa and cayenne. Great with our Tomatillo Stew and will also be great with the Tomatillo Soup tonight. Will make this recipe again as I love to grow tomatillos
- 3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup tomatillo salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Spray two 9 inch cake pans with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In one large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir to mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs and butter.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.
- Fold in the cheese and salsa.
- Divide the batter between the two pans.
- Place in center of oven and bake for 30 minutes, until center is firm and top is golden.
- Let cool before slicing.