Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from Party Line with The Hearty Boys, in anticipation of Super Bowl Sunday.
- 3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup tomatillo salsa
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Spray two 9 inch cake pans with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In one large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir to mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs and butter.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.
- Fold in the cheese and salsa.
- Divide the batter between the two pans.
- Place in center of oven and bake for 30 minutes, until center is firm and top is golden.
- Let cool before slicing.
This was a cornbread with the surprise of the heat of the salsa and cayenne. Great with our Tomatillo Stew and will also be great with the Tomatillo Soup tonight. Will make this recipe again as I love to grow tomatillos
I don't usually tamper with a bread recipe, but in this case decided to halve it, since the amounts were even. I baked in a 9 inch pan for about 25 minutes. This is a fluffy bread with a nice browned top. The flavors are fairly subtle and add a nice peppery zing. It will go nicely with the Wintertime Chili I've made for dinner. Roxygirl