Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe from *The Best Ever French Cooking Course* cookbook by Carole Clements & Elizabeth Wolf-Cohen is everything you want a recipe to be. In my view that's ingredient & budget-friendly, a make-ahead quick-fix, low-cal & low-fat, a colorful & attractive presentation + amazing versatility. Altho I could only enter it in 2 categories, versatility is its biggest bonus as it works as a cold starter, salad course, side-dish to a meat or seafood entree served w/a starch, light lunch w/creative additions & can also be used to garnish a variety of appy platters or the like. Per the intro, "This simple dish is just the kind of thing you might find in charcuteries all over France." (Time does not include hard-boiling & cooling the eggs) *Enjoy* !
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 4 eggs (hard-boiled & peeled)
- 4 tomatoes (med-size & ripe)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- lettuce (or mixed greens to serve)
- In a sml bowl, blend the mayo + herbs & set aside. Using an egg-slicer or sharp knife, cut the egg into thin slices.
- Place tomatoes on a cutting board (core-end down) & make deep cuts to w/in 1/2-in of the base. There should be the same # of cuts in ea tomato as there are egg slices & the white ends of the eggs should be discarded or reserved for another use.
- Fan open the tomatoes, sprinkle w/salt & pepper to taste & insert an egg slice into ea slit. Place ea stuffed tomato on a sml bed of lettuce or mixed greens & serve w/the herb mayonnaise.
I practically inhaled this. A fresh from the garden tomato, a hard boiled egg, and the tasty herbal mayo makes it a terrific summer dish! I used Kraft fat free mayo. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Yum, this was delightful, and the mayo herb sauce was very refreshing, perking up the always excellent tomato-egg combo. Great use for the garden herbs and tomatoes too. Thanks for sharing! ZWT8
What an easy way to make a great tasting and spectacularly colourful dish! This made for a terrific salad and the fresh herbs were great with the fresh tomato. Made for my fellow Chef Gone Wild for ZWT8. Thanks twissis! :)