Recipe by -Sylvie-
I've posted this in response to a request in the German forum. I found the recipe on www.rezeptdatenbank.de and translated it into English. Great to serve as a relish with steamed fish, goats cheese or to use for topping crostini or bruschetta. The yield is a guess.
- 3 kg tomatoes, skinned and diced (pulp removed)
- 1 bulb of garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
- 3 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, stripped
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the shallots in the olive oil.
- Add the tomatoes, and lightly crushed garlic cloves as well as the stripped thyme leaves and chopped basil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- The juice from the tomatoes should be completely gone by that time and you should be left with a flavourful reduction.
- Allow to cool completely and either use immidiately or freeze for later use.