Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 22 mins
A nice vegetarian version of the classic soup. But you could add some shrimp if you like.
Make and share this Tom Yum - Thai Hot and Sour Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 ounce dried wood ear mushrooms (also called tree ears or black fungus, optional)
- 7 ounces soft tofu
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon hot chili sauce (sambal oelek)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bamboo shoot
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 strip red pepper
- fresh cilantro
- Soak the wood ears in warm water for 20-30 minutes until they swell up and become soft.
- Rinse under cold water, and cut into thin ribons, discarding any hard centers; set aside.
- Slice tofu into long thin strips; set aside.
- Bring the 4 cups of water to a boil in a soup pot; add the soy sauce, black pepper, garlic, sugar, vinegar, sambal oelek, and salt and stir to blend.
- Lower heat to medium and cook for several minutes.
- Add the bamboo shoots and cook for a minute before adding the wood ears, the tofu, and the sesame oil.
- Cook the soup for 2-3 minutes, then stir in the cornstarch which should be dissolved in the 1 tablespoonful of water.
- Beat the egg yolks lightly and slide into the soup; turn off the heat and DO NOT STIR.
- The egg will cook into the hot soup and stay in pieces (if you stir it will shrivel).
- Pour soup into serving bowls and garnish with strips of red pepper and cilantro leaves.
Not too crazy for this recipe but it was easy and it served in a pinch. I couldn't get it HOT enough. It lacked that wow.
This was suprisingly very good! I say that because I hate tofu, but the tofu soaked up the flavors of the soup and it was delicious. Has a tangy/sweet taste. Thank you so much for the recipe!