Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I received this recipe from Nussara Boonkungwan who prepared it for a Thai cooking demonstration on 6-11-99 at ESKing Village at NCSU. She is a great cook and I enjoyed this very much!
- 1 lb shrimp or 1 lb chicken, cut up
- 4 -5 kaffir lime leaves
- 1⁄4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups water
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 -5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 7 -8 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red chili peppers, freshly ground (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chili paste, in soy bean oil (Thai name -- Nam Prik Pao, can be found in Asian grocery store)
- Pour water into medium saucepan and place over high head on stove; bring to boil and add Kaffir lime leaves & lemon grass; cook for 2 minutes.
- Reduce to low heat, add fish sauce, lime juice, fresh ground red chili, and chili paste in soy bean oil.
- Add mushrooms & tomatoes; cook for several minutes.
- Add shrimp or chicken.
- Turn heat to high, do not stir.
- When shrimp or chicken is cooked, continue to cook for 2 minutes more.
- Serve with hot rice.
Not quite what I was expecting
This was quick, easy, relatively inexpensive, and delicious! My boyfriend couldn't say enough good things about it. I will make this again for sure!
After trying this recipe in a restaurant I came to zaar to try and find it. I was not disappointed at all with this recipe. It was exactly what I was after. The flavours of this recipe are exquisite. If you like a little pep to your soups then this ones for you. So easy to make and the ingredients are readily available too. Will make again. Thanks for posting and keeping my tastebuds happy!!!