- 1 lb shrimp or 1 lb chicken, cut up
- 4 -5 kaffir lime leaves
- 1⁄4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups water
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 -5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 7 -8 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red chili peppers, freshly ground (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chili paste, in soy bean oil (Thai name -- Nam Prik Pao, can be found in Asian grocery store)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour water into medium saucepan and place over high head on stove; bring to boil and add Kaffir lime leaves & lemon grass; cook for 2 minutes.
- Reduce to low heat, add fish sauce, lime juice, fresh ground red chili, and chili paste in soy bean oil.
- Add mushrooms & tomatoes; cook for several minutes.
- Add shrimp or chicken.
- Turn heat to high, do not stir.
- When shrimp or chicken is cooked, continue to cook for 2 minutes more.
- Serve with hot rice.