1/1 Photo of Tom Yum (spicy Thai Soup)
I received this recipe from Nussara Boonkungwan who prepared it for a Thai cooking demonstration on 6-11-99 at ESKing Village at NCSU. She is a great cook and I enjoyed this very much!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb shrimp or 1 lb chicken, cut up
- 4 -5 kaffir lime leaves
- 1/4 cup tomato, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups water
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 -5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 7 -8 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red chili peppers, freshly ground (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chili paste, in soy bean oil (Thai name -- Nam Prik Pao, can be found in Asian grocery store)
- 1Pour water into medium saucepan and place over high head on stove; bring to boil and add Kaffir lime leaves & lemon grass; cook for 2 minutes.
- 2Reduce to low heat, add fish sauce, lime juice, fresh ground red chili, and chili paste in soy bean oil.
- 3Add mushrooms & tomatoes; cook for several minutes.
- 4Add shrimp or chicken.
- 5Turn heat to high, do not stir.
- 6When shrimp or chicken is cooked, continue to cook for 2 minutes more.
- 7Serve with hot rice.
Browse Our Top Thai Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tom Yum (spicy Thai Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.9
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 220.8 mg
- Sodium 1649.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 25.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kaffir lime leaves