Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Modified recipe from Eating Well (January/February 2008).
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass (minced)
- 2 tablespoons ginger (minced)
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 jalapenos (seeded and sliced)
- 3 limes (zest of ~ save juice, see below)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh pineapple (chopped)
- 1 cup mushroom (sliced)
- 1 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 16 ounces raw shrimp (peeled and deveined, 26-30 per pound)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 scallions (sliced)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Place lemongrass and minced ginger in a large saucepan with broth, jalapeños and lime zest. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer; cover and cook for 15 minutes. Strain into a bowl. Discard solids.
- Return the broth to the pan. Add pineapple, mushrooms, tomato, fish sauce and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook until they are pink and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice, scallions, and cilantro.