Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is one of my favorite spicy Thai Dishes.. it really warms your belly going down. you can get the ingriendents at asian specialty stores
- 3 -4 cups chicken stock
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 12 -14 medium shrimp, shelled
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 -2 small red chile, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk 1/3 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Pour stock into a deep cooking pot and turn heat to medium-high.
- Add processed lemongrass to the pot, including the parts of the lemongrass stalk you didn't slice. Boil for 5 minutes, or until fragrant.
- .Add garlic, chili, lime leaves, and mushrooms to broth. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- .Add shrimp, bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes (if using). Cook 5-6 minutes, or until shrimp is pink and plump.
- Turn down the heat to low and add 1/2 can coconut milk plus fish sauce. Test-test the soup for spice and salt, adding more chili and/or fish sauce (instead of salt) as desired. If too sour for your taste, add 1 teaspoons brown sugar; if too salty, add a squeeze of lime juice. Add more coconut milk if you want your soup richer/creamier, or if it's too spicy for your taste.
- .Serve in bowls with fresh coriander sprinkled over. Enjoy!