Recipe by Kathy228
So easy to prepare. So good to eat. Thin sliced chicken can be subbed for the shrimp. Mushrooms may be omitted. You can add more vegetables (like eggplant, celery, tomatoes, etc). Serve with rice or noodles. Any type of mushroom can be used in the recipe. This is an online recipe that I modified slightly.
Top Review by Amy in Hawaii
Yummy in my tummy. I have eaten this soup many times and thankfully, I happen to have most of the thai ingredients growing in my yard, chili peppers,kaffir lime, and lemon grass. I have substituted fresh Jamaican Ginger for the Galangal, it is less fragrant but works fine. I also used straw mushrooms (canned)which are more traditional and I have added other vegetables when available like cherry tomatoes, sliced sweet onions and eggplant. Thanks for a great recipe
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 stalk lemongrass, sliced thinly (tough outer leaves and bulb removed)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons galanga powder (Thai ginger)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced (or one large strip of lime peel)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 small chili pepper, de-seeded and sliced (as hot as you like or mild)
- 1 medium bell pepper, sliced (any color)
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly (or any small mushroom)
- 12 large raw shrimp, shells removed
- 1 (11 ounce) can coconut milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour stock and lime juice into a deep cooking pot.
- Place lemongrass in a food processor and process until finely grated. Add to pot. The bulb can be thrown into the pot for additional flavor (remove before serving).
- Add the galanga powder to the pot.
- Add garlic, chilies, peppers, and Kaffir leaves (or lime peel). Bring to a mild boil.
- Add the mushrooms and shrimp. Gently simmer 'til shrimp is pink.
- Turn down the heat to low then add the coconut milk and fish sauce. Taste to adjust seasonings, adding more chilies and/or fish sauce (instead of salt) as desired.
- Serve in bowls with cilantro sprinkled over. And on the side, steamed jasmine rice and quarters of fresh lime.