Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
my aunt's hot and sour soup recipe
- 12 ounces chicken meat or 12 ounces cleaned shrimp
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 pieces fresh lemongrass (tender bottom 2/3 inch of stalk only)
- 2 -3 tablespoons thai kitchen premium fish sauce
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 1 piece fresh galangal (Thai ginger) or 1 piece chinese gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons thai kitchen roasted red chili paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can straw mushrooms, drained
- 1 sprig fresh cilantro
- Bone and skin the chicken; cut into large pieces.
- In a large pot, combine the stock, lemongrass, fish sauce, lime juice, kaffir lime leaves, galangal and sugar.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add roasted red chili paste and stir well to incorporate.
- Add the mushrooms and the chicken and simmer for an additional 10 to 15 minutes until chicken is cooked. (If using shrimp, simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Cook until shrimp turns orange-pink in color)
- Remove lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and galangal from soup before serving.
- Garnish with cilantro (sliced and bruised) .