Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Cooking Light. Jan 2008.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp
- 9 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peeled fresh galangal or 1⁄2 cup fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup peeled fresh lemongrass (2-inch pieces, about 4 stalks)
- 6 fresh kaffir lime leaves or 6 lime zest
- 1⁄2 cup canned straw mushroom, quartered
- 2 tablespoons roasted red chili paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 Thai chiles
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 6 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
- 4 lime wedges
- Peel and devein shrimp, reserving shells. Combine shrimp shells and 6 cups water in a Dutch oven; bring to a simmer. Cook 1 hour.
- Strain broth through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Combine broth and remaining 3 1/2 cups water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Add galangal, lemongrass, and kaffir lime leaves to pan; simmer 10 minutes. Strain broth mixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids.
- Return broth mixture to pan. Add mushrooms, chili paste, fish sauce, and chiles; bring to a boil. Stir in shrimp, green onions, and cilantro; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done. Discard chiles.
- Stir in fresh lime juice. Ladle 2 cups soup into each of 4 bowls; sprinkle evenly with peanuts. Serve with lime wedges.