Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Quick and easy, light and satisfying Bangkok style Tom Yum Goong with a side of Ginger Snow Peas.
- 6 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 4 slices lime zest (long strips)
- 1 (4 inch) lemongrass, halved and crushed
- 1⁄2 habanero pepper, minced
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons nam pla, sauce
- 1 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Ginger Snow Peas
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 3 cups snow peas, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine chicken broth, lime rind, lemongrass, and habanero in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes.
- Heat dark sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add snow peas and fresh ginger to pan then sauté 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and shrimp to broth in saucepan. Cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done. Add juice, fish sauce, tomato, and onions to pan and cook 2 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat then stir in coconut milk and cilantro. Discard lemongrass stalk and lime leaves. Serve.
- Stir the soy sauce and black pepper into the snow peas and serve.