Recipe by rod_n_daisy
I got this recipe from thaiwaysmagizine.com and that recipe is very good but I made some changes and I like my version more. If you like Tom Yam I recommend trying both. This is very easy to make. The hardest part might be finding the ingredients if you don’t have an oriental grocery store handy.
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb fresh shrimp
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 6 -8 fresh lime leaves
- 8 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chili paste (Adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 -3 fresh jalapenos, more if you like hotter (Sliced or diced)
- 2 green onions (Sliced)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (I used Que Huong Sodium 730 mg. per 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fresh galangal root (About 1/8th inch slice)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Take the fresh shrimp and remove the heads and set aside, remove the shell then devein the shrimp, discard the shells. With a heavy object bruise the sides of the lemon grass, I use a meat tenderizer. Then cut into 2-3 inch sections. Take the lime leaves and make 3 to 5 slices each side.Slice the galangal in about 1/8" sections. Take a 12 inch square piece of cheese clothplace the lemongrass, shrimp heads and galangal in the center tie it shut with some string. This makes it much easier for when you eat, no suprises.
- 2Add chicken broth, fish sauce and ,lime leaves cheese cloth spice bag into pot and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3Uncover the pot add jalapeno's, onion and sugar.
- 4Simmer for 2-3 minutes, then add chile paste,and fresh mushrooms. Simmer for 2 more minutes. Add green onions and shrimp simmer for 1 minute.
- 5Turn off the heat and add lime juice and garnish with coriander or cilantro.
- 6Test for saltiness and sourness. If required, adjust with more fish sauce Salt) and lime (sour).Discard spice bag and enjoy. ,.