Recipe by rod_n_daisy
got this recipe from thaiwaysmagizine.com and that recipe is very good but I made some changes and I like my version more. If you like Tom Yam I recommend trying both. This is very easy to make. The hardest part might be finding the ingredients if you don’t have an oriental grocery store handy.
- 1 quart water
- 1⁄2 lb chicken or 1⁄2 lb fresh shrimp
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms, fresh
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 3 -4 fresh lime leaves
- 1 tablespoon coriander or 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili paste (Adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (fresh) or 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh)
- 1 -2 jalapeno, more if you like hotter (Sliced or diced)
- 2 green onions (Sliced)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (I used Que Huong Sodium 730 mg. per 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon galangal (About 1/8th inch slice) or 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (About 1/8th inch slice)
- 1⁄4 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- For the lemongrass use only the solid portion and discard the woody grass part. With a heavy object bruise the sides, I use a meat tenderizer. Then cut into 2-3 inch sections. Take the lime leaves and make 3 to 5 slices in them from 3/4 of the way from the top of the leaf all the way down. Take a 12 inch square piece of cheese cloth and place the lemongrass, lime leaves and galangal in the center tie it shut with some string. This makes it much easier for when you eat, no suprises.
- Add chicken broth fish sauce and cheese cloth bag into pot and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the pot and add jalapeno's, onion, sugar and chicken.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes, then add chile paste,and mushrooms. Simmer for 2 more minutes. Add green onions and simmer 30 seconds.
- Turn off the heat and add lime juice and garnish with coriander or cilantro.
- Test for saltiness and sourness. If required, adjust with more fish sauce Salt) and lime or lemon juice (sour).Discard spice bag and enjoy.
- If cooking with shrimp remove the heads and add them to the cheese cloth bag. Discard the rest of the shell deveinthe shrimp and add them 1 minute before everything is done.