Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I got this recipe from thaiwaysmagizine.com and that recipe is very good but I made some changes and I like my version more. If you like Tom Yam I recommend trying both. This is very easy to make. The hardest part might be finding the ingredients if you don’t have an oriental grocery store handy.
- 1 pint water
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 3 -4 fresh lime leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander or 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground chili powder (Adjust to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 -2 jalapeno, more if you like hotter (Sliced or diced)
- 2 green onions
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (I used Veit Huong - 3 Crab Brand)
- Separate and save shrimp heads, remove shrimp from shells and devein and butterfly.
- Pour water into pot with the lemon grass, kaffir-lime leaves, sea salt and shrimp heads. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Add Additional water if to much evaporation occured to return to the original level.
- Add mushrooms, jalapenos and green onions. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp, lime juice , ground chile powder to taste and fish sauce. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes till shrimp are done.
- Garnish each bowl with chopped coriander before serving.