Recipe by Sharlene~W
This recipe is from a cooking class I took at a resort in Thailand (Le Royal Meridian Phuket Yacht Club). I hope you are fortunate enough to have an Asian food market in your area so you can find the ingredients as this soup is absolutely delicious!
Top Review by Gary Hayes
Tom Yum is the very best soup in the world, and has many variations. This one using prawns is much nicer than using marinara mix. Everyone should try Tom Yum at least once in a lifetime.
- 4 liters chicken stock
- 120 g lemongrass
- 100 g galangal
- 500 g straw mushrooms
- 600 g tiger shrimp
- 200 ml lime juice
- 40 g sugar
- 200 ml fish sauce
- 60 g chili in oil
- 20 kaffir lime leaves
- 5 red chilies, sliced
- 100 ml whipping cream or 100 ml heavy whipping cream
- coriander leaves (cilantro)
- chili oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring chicken stock to a boil.
- Add lemon grass, galangal, straw mushrooms.
- Season to taste with lime juice, sugar, fish sauce and chili in oil.
- Add kafir lime juice, red chili sliced and cream.
- Add shrimp, cook approximately 30 seconds longer, until shrimp barely done.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and a few drops of chili oil on top.