Recipe by AmandaInOz
Sour fish soup. From a Thai cooking class by Meera Freeman. You can use any firm fish.
- 2 tablespoons coriander roots, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste (optional)
- 7 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups fish, sliced
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamarind juice
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (coriander leaves)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mortar, pound the coriander root, shallots, salt and peppercorns to a smooth paste.
- Add shrimp paste and pound well to blend.
- Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the paste mixture for a few moments until fragrant.
- Add the fish to the frying pan and coat with the paste, but do not allow the fish to cook through.
- Add the fish mixture to the boiling water and stir.
- Season with the sugar, fish sauce and tamarind water and bring back to a boil. By this time the fish should be cooked.
- Add the ginger and spring onions.
- Serve hot, garnished with cilantro.