Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I got this recipe from Alan's Kitchen online. I haven't tried it yet. Tom Mix is my grandfather's (Lyle Mix) cousin, so I'll have to try these and see if it owns up to the Mix name. Prep and cook times are estimated. Prep time does not include soaking beans overnight.
- 1 lb dried pinto bean, sorted,rinsed and drained
- 8 cups water
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ham shank
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 limes
- In a large kettle, add the beans and pour in water.
- You want the water to cover with enough water about 2 inches above beans.
- Cover and let stand overnight.
- Bring beans to a boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cover for 1 hour or until tender.
- Drain the beans and add the 8 cups of water.
- Then add ham, onions, and garlic.
- Bring the water to a boil and cook the bean for 10 minutes.
- Then reduce the kettles heat to low and simmer for 2 hours.
- Then remove the ham.
- Allow the ham to cool, then cut into ½- inch pieces.
- Return ham to the kettle.
- You add the cumin, oregano, cilantro, and pepper next.
- Continue to simmer for an additional 1 hour.
- The beans should be very tender and with little liquid.
- If the beans become too dry, add a little water.
- If the beans are too soupy, continue to cook.
- Now is the time to add the salt.
- Cut limes into wedges and squeeze into beans.