Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Oh, Tom Kha Gai! This spicy, aromatic soup, rich, tangy, flavorful! The silken texture of the coconut milk enriched chicken broth! The nourishing poached chicken and mushrooms, cradled in this powerful soup. Its winter. The perfect time for Tom Kha Gai. The ultimate seasonal comfort food. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 stalk lemongrass, split in half and sliced
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 5 keffir fresh lime leaves, hand torn
- 2 small red chilies, cut thinly crosswise (remove seeds if you want less heat)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3 (13 1/2 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 1⁄2 lb fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced or 1⁄2 lb straw mushroom, trimmed but left whole
- 1 1⁄4 lbs chicken thighs, boned, skinned and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 lime wedges
- 2 teaspoons chili oil, to drizzle before serving (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the ginger, lemongrass, and curry paste and stir and cook in the heated oil for 1 minute. Slowly pour the chicken broth over the mixture, stirring continually. Add the lime leaves and chillies and simmer gently for 10 minutes to infuse the broth.
- After 10 minutes, stir in the fish sauce and brown sugar; simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and mushrooms; cook and stir until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and cook until no longer translucent, about 2-5 minutes. Watch carefully, do not overcook. Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. To serve, drizzle with a little chilli oil and/or garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.